These are my saved Pinboard links for 6th October 2013:
- Web fonts from Linotype.com – Font Technology – Text fonts must conform to a wide range of different prerequisites if they are to be clearly legible. They are thus subject to stringent requirements that start with the shapes of the glyphs. As texts are usually set in smaller point sizes, the individual letters of a text font need to be still plainly recognisable even in these smaller dimensions. Well-designed, easily differentiated forms are one essential condition. But open counters and large x-height also contribute towards improved legibility. Many of the details that first make fonts interesting in headline sizes cannot be appreciated in the point sizes used to set text and these can even be problematical and impair legibility. But good text fonts retain their individual character, without loss of detail or line breakage, even in little. In addition to design, so-called hinting plays a significant role here. By means of hinting, a type designer can provide additional information on line thickness and curve form and so influence how letters are displayed. On low resolution display media, such as computer monitors, this information helps ensure that small lettering appears uniform and coherent.
Kerning, the technique used to adjust the spacing between the individual characters, is also an important factor when it comes to text legibility. Only if there is optically consistent spacing between letters will readers be able to readily combine the characters to form words.
And, last but not least, it is advisable to ascertain the range of glyphs available with a particular font. A font should, for example, have matching sets of numerals – such as oldstyle figures and uppercase numerals that are smaller than the uppercase letters so that numerals do not hinder the flow of continuous text.
- Overview | Raspberry Pi as an Ad Blocking Access Point | Adafruit Learning System – This tutorial will show you how to use your Raspberry Pi as a WiFi access point that blocks ads by default for any devices using it. This is really neat in that it would work for your Android or iOS device, your Xbox 360, TiVo, laptop, and more without needing to customize any of those devices other than to use your Raspberry Pi as the access point for WiFi. Using an ad-blocker can be useful for conserving bandwidth, helping out low-power devices, or for keeping your sanity while browsing the web!
- Speed Up Your Web Site with Varnish | Linux Journal – Varnish is a program that can greatly speed up a Web site while reducing the load on the Web server. According to Varnish's official site, Varnish is a "Web application accelerator also known as a caching HTTP reverse proxy".
- Generating an Automatic Table of Contents from an InDesign Template | Vandelay Design Blog – Once you get the hang of it, the Table of Contents generator in Adobe InDesign is a breeze to use, and if you’re using an InDesign template, most of the work is already done for you, making your job flow that much easier and faster.
InDesign’s Table of Contents generator works with Character Styles and Paragraph Styles to generate a Table of Contents. The generator searches your document for Styles of various titles, subtitles, headings, and subheadings, as specified by you, the user, and generates a Table of Contents based on these Styles, along with certain formatting options that you choose from the generator dialogue.
Your InDesign template most likely comes with a handful of Styles predefined, and you can make new ones easily by formatting your text with the Character and Paragraph palettes, highlighting your text, and choosing New Paragraph Style from the dropdown menu in the upper right hand corner of the Paragraph Styles palette. Be sure to name your new Style by double clicking it in the palette’s list and entering a name that you can remember.
- Useful InDesign Scripts And Plugins To Speed Up Your Work | Smashing Magazine – Few applications feel as complete as Adobe’s InDesign. First released in 1999 as a direct attack against the then-industry standard, Quark, the page-layout application has been made faster and more feature-rich with each iteration. But even the best applications lack some features. Luckily, Adobe realized this some years ago and opened the doors to allow designers to expand this beloved set of tools through plugins.
Many designers don’t realize how powerful InDesign can be, especially when expanded through plugins and scripts. So, we’ve put together a small collection to show a bit of what InDesign can do. More than anything, these will help you work through your documents and publications much faster, automating the repetitive parts, and freeing you to focus on the fun stuff.
- Easy Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bon Bons | Serious Eats : Recipes – Chocolate covered ice cream is a treat that takes me straight back to my childhood and the dipped cones we used to get at our local soft serve joint. It didn't feel like summer had truly arrived until I had my first dipped cone. As an adult, I recognize that the dipped cones weren't particularly high quality chocolate, or ice cream for that matter, but there was something special about crunchy chocolate coating + ice cream that equaled pure summertime magic, Fortunately, it's actually fairly simple to recapture at home.
the secret to a stellar at-home chocolate coating for ice cream is a touch of coconut oil
In high school I'll admit that I dabbled with "Magic Shell", that bottled chocolate coating. But here's the thing: the store bought stuff might do in a pinch, but I've found it to be overly oily and for serious chocolate lovers it's not going to scratch that itch. Last summer while writing our cookbook, New York à la Cart: Recipes and Stories from the Big Apple's Best Food Trucks, I learned from Chef Meredith Kurtzman of Otto that the secret to a stellar at-home chocolate coating for ice cream is a touch of coconut oil.
Since then I'll admit that I've been indulging in frozen chocolate covered treats—her recipe for a caramelized white chocolate shell appears in the book along with the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck's recipe for a dark chocolate shell. Then there were those Arrested Development inspired frozen bananas. Surprisingly it was only recently that I realized that I could make bite-sized poppable treats as well by using my melon baller to make mini scoops then dipping them in truly magical chocolate shell. Pair this with your favorite ice cream flavor, be it homemade or store bought, I promise you won't be sorry.
- Monster Mash Shepherd’s Pie | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking – This is what nightmares are made of! If nightmares were totally delicious. A grizzly green ghoul with haunted olive eyes, gaping radish fangs and ferocious claws…of thyme? Vegan food hasn’t been this scary since the 80s!
But beneath all the horror, this is a Lentil Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie With Scallion Cilantro Mashed Potatoes. Unfortunately, there’s nothing scary about that. So to name this macabre creation, I turned to the Post Punk Kitchen Facebook and ran a contest to find the perfect title. There were so many good ones, but come on…Monster Mash? That took the cake. Or took the potato, as it were. The winner will be receiving a signed copy of Isa Does It plus $25 to her favorite charity!
A few runner-up titles: Creature From The Black Legume, Mr. Potato Dead, Ghoul Interrupted, and Frankenthyme! Haha, good work, guys. Check back on Facebook soon for another Halloween recipe and your chance to win.
But for now, here we are: the perfect Halloween feast! DIG IN AT YOUR OWN RISK. And check out this video for a little extra guidance. (Watch with the sound on for the full effect.)
- Homemade Naan Recipe – It's always more fun to DIY. Every week, we'll spare you a trip to the grocery store and show you how to make small batches of great foods at home.
Today: Carey Nershi from Reclaiming Provincial has mastered the art of making naan at home, and she wants to show us how.
- Make This: Vegan Bacon Strips | Ecorazzi – Conventional bacon is chock-full of calories and fat and is often made from low-quality meat. But eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to go without the smoky, salty goodness that bacon provides.
Who better than Mother Nature to provide us with a compromise? When she made eggplant, she also gave bacon-lovers near and far a healthy, animal-free alternative to this guilty pleasure.
First, let’s break down why bacon can be bad for your health and physique. In just 3 ounces of cooked bacon, there are 763 calories, 85 grams of fat, 27 grams of saturated fat, 23 milligrams of sodium, and no fiber. These are off the chart quantities!
While enjoying bacon once in a while isn’t going to kill you, it’s a good idea to have an alternative up your sleeve so you can cut down on the fat and calorie overload. This recipe for vegan eggplant bacon is infused with the smoke and spice reminiscent of real bacon without the fat and salt overload. Enjoy!
- jedi4ever/veewee · GitHub – Veewee is a tool for easily (and repeatedly) building custom Vagrant base boxes, KVMs, and virtual machine images.