These are my saved Pinboard links for 3rd November 2013:
- Chocolate macaroons – Recipes – Food & Drink – The Independent – Is the macaroon fad here to stay or was it a flash in the pan, I wonder? My guess is they are stronger in the marketplace than the cupcake fad which will surely exhaust itself.
- Macaroni pie – Recipes – Food & Drink – The Independent – I had something like this in Barbados a couple of years ago. It was delicious and lingered long in the memory.
- Black-Eyed Pea Cassoulet recipe on Food52.com – I had this dish as a side to a wonderful pork chop in a restaurant in Greenville, SC, and decided then and there it would be my New Year's treatment for black-eyed peas. It's wonderfully simple, wonderfully savory, and the breadcrumbs add a texture element that's just….different!
- Using Vagrant (Mac, Linux) – Docker Documentation – This guide will setup a new virtualbox virtual machine with docker installed on your computer. This works on most operating systems, including MacOX, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and others. If you can install these and have at least 400MB RAM to spare you should be good.
- Crab and Scallion Strata | Serious Eats : Recipes – Crab can make an unexpected and elegant addition to your brunch table. This recipe makes the most out of the ingredient by preparing it into a delicate strata. Gently warming the crab in a pan with garlic helps to season fresh crab and, if you happen to be using canned crab, reduces the metallic flavor that so often plagues canned food.
Scallions are one of my favorite ingredients; they're subtle and delicate and add a layer of flavor to the strata without overpowering the crab. That said, chives would work in their place, as would shallots cooked in butter. If you have thyme or dill in the fridge, a teaspoon or so would be delicious as well.
- jdberry/tag – tag is a command line tool to manipulate tags on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks files, and to query for files with those tags. tag can use the file system's built-in metadata search functionality to rapidly find all files that have been tagged with a given set of tags.
- How to Make Crunchy Caramel Popcorn Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn – The best caramel popcorn is a two-part process: making a stovetop caramel sauce and then baking the coated popcorn in the oven.
- SQL CoPilot | Check SQL Servers Quickly And Easily – Check SQL Servers Quickly and Easily
Instant information at your fingertips
- Baked Eggs with Mushrooms and Gruyere recipe on Food52.com – What can I say about baked eggs? They're so good. The texture of a nicely baked egg is so perfectly velvety, and if they're drizzled with cream that thickens and becomes buttery when baked? Yum. This is one of my many preferred combinations for baked eggs, with mushrooms and gruyere cheese rounding out the eggs and cream.
- Exedore: A Mac-native Python IDE – Exedore is a throughly Mac-Native Python IDE written entirely in Cocoa/Objective-C.