These are my saved Pinboard links for 22nd August 2012:
- Skillet Suppers: Seared Scallops with Israeli Couscous | Serious Eats – Making dinner during the late summer months is one of the best times of year with all of the fresh produce available. I have a minor obsession (read: major) with tomatoes, so I like to put them in almost anything. But, of course, there is also corn, zucchini, and tons of fresh herbs to throw in the mix. With that said, it's fun to take advantage and prepare quick and healthy meals out of them. Like this one.
Instead of going for a traditional pasta salad, I opted for whole-wheat Israeli couscous (often called pearled) because it has a nutty, chewy characteristic that readily absorbs sauces and flavors—one reason that I cooked it in a vegetable broth. Though this is intended as a summer dish, the vegetables can be easily substituted for seasonal variations like roasted pumpkin or winter squash. Similarly, if scallops aren't your thing, feel free to top it with shrimp or chicken.
The whole dish is super simple to prepare and quite addictive. The key is to not overcook the scallops or they will become rubbery and unpleasant. I always stick to a handy method that a Scottish chef, Michael Smith from Three Chimneys, once taught me.
- AppleScript to tweet via Notification Center – Mac OS X Hints – The Click to Tweet button in Notification Center is just crying out for a way to activate it without taking your hands off your keyboard. Over at StackExchange, user Ewwis posted the following AppleScript. Save this and launch it with, say, LaunchBar or another launcher. It displays a dialog where you can post your tweet, then, when you click on OK, displays Notification Center and sends your tweet.
- Infinity.js – ∞ is a UITableView for the web: it speeds up scrolling through long lists and keeps your infinite feeds smooth and stable for your users. It is small, battle-tested, and highly performant. The code is hosted on Github, and distributed under the BSD License. The annotated source is available, as are demos both with Infinity turned off and on.
∞ was built by Airbnb alongside the development of the Popular Wishlists and Friends feeds, and sees daily production use there today. Its only dependency is on jQuery.
- Baked Romano peppers – Bright, flavoursome dish
- Do You Meditate? 6 Life-Improving Reasons You Should Start | Bloom – Just thinking about everything we should do to stay healthy, live longer, and be happy is enough alone to cause stress and anxiety.
We’re supposed to exercise daily, eat the right foods, maintain a healthy weight, floss our teeth, take vitamins, drink 8 glasses of water, get enough sleep, put on sunscreen, get regular check-ups, and simplify our lives (ha!).
Creating and maintaining all of these healthy habits is exhausting. And often we’re barraged with conflicting information from the medical community and media experts about what is safe, healthy, and currently recommended. Just when we get used to broccoli, they tell us we should be eating kale — or some variation of that.
I don’t want to stress you out further, but there’s one habit you should include in your day that provides a myriad of health and psychological benefits — not the least of which is reducing stress and anxiety. It’s the practice of meditation.