These are my saved Pinboard links for 21st April 2012:
- Notes from the Vegan Feast Kitchen/ 21st Century Table: CHEESY LOW-FAT BLACK BEAN DIP OR SPREAD – I'm in the habit of making low-fat spreads to eat with raw veggies or rye crisp for snacks. DH is a snacker– he feels the need to munch every couple of hours or so. He likes fruit, and soy yogurt, so those are snack staples, of course, but sometimes a savory, protein-rich snack is more satisfying. So that's what I concentrate on keeping in the refrigerator at all times (though leftover homemade soups and grainy/beany salads are good, too). My Cheddary Spread is a favorite. But, yesterday I was out of silken tofu (calamity!), so I looked around for what I had– can of black beans, jar of salsa, could quickly make some Melty Chedda, since it doesn't require tofu. Here's the result, and it passed DH's taste-test with flying colors.
- Dinner for Two: Grilled Garlic Bread with White Bean Shrimp Scampi | Serious Eats : Recipes – Shrimp Scampi. It may have sunk to diner fare, but then again, diners are kind of where you go to eat any kind of food you REALLY want. Nothing beats those jumbo, juicy shrimp, stewed in white wine with garlic and butter. The parsley is that something green that justifies the ostrich-sized nest of linguine beneath the shrimp. So decadent, and messy, and tangled, and happy.
I love this sleek, modern twist on my beloved scampi.
Char up some thick country bread drizzled in olive oil, and rub it with garlic. Then top it with a five-minute, one-pot stew of meaty shrimp, creamy, comforting cannellini beans, even more garlic, white wine, and just a touch of butter for authenticity. I toss in a handful of parsley or arugula or both, then pour it over the charred garlic bread. The sauce soaks into the crusts, and the shrimp and beans together are so hearty and garlicky and good. Eat this with someone you love, and who loves you. (There's a lot of garlic.)
- albertz/shairport – This program emulates an AirPort Express for the purpose of streaming music from iTunes and compatible iPods. It implements a server for the Apple RAOP protocol. ShairPort does not support AirPlay v2 (video and photo streaming).
It supports multiple simultaneous streams, if your audio output chain (as detected by libao) does so.
- Random Redirection in WordPress | Smashing WordPress – If you run an online magazine, most of your readers will never go through your archive, even if you design a neat archive page. It’s not you; it’s just that going through archives is not very popular these days. So, how do you actually make readers dig in without forcing them? How do you invite them to (re)read in a way that’s not boring? How do you make your WordPress magazine more interactive?
- dotfiles/.osx at master · mathiasbynens/dotfiles – A treasure trove of OS X defaults write tweaks.