These are my saved Pinboard links for 15th June 2014:
- Pork Belly Carnitas recipe on Food52.com – Swapping the traditional pork shoulder for pork belly makes carnitas one of the best versions you will ever try. Meltingly tender and flavorful on the inside, with delightfully crispy bits on the edges, this makes a fantastic taco filling.
- Cilantro-and-Lime Marinated Chicken Fajita Kebabs | Serious Eats : Recipes – When it comes to fajitas, I'm a skirt-steak fiend, through and through. It's such a flavorful cut that I'd had almost no interest in making fajitas with other more bland and lifeless proteins, like chicken. A few years back, though, I decided it was time to give poultry a try, and I set out on a mission to devise a winning recipe for the grill. After a whole lot of experimentation, I came up with a great marinade—a quick purée of grassy cilantro, tart lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, cumin, and crushed red pepper—that gets the fajita flavor profile down pat.
Searching for ways to get more mileage out of that marinade, I wondered how it would hold up in kebab form. The answer? Very well. Which is great news, since I've been on a kebab kick all month long—just check out my grilled kebab guide if you have any doubts.
The cubed and marinated chicken thighs stay nice and juicy over a hot fire, retaining a bright and tangy flavor that, when combined with bell peppers and onion, tastes just like a great fajita—minus the tortilla, of course.
- New XBee Tutorials! – News – SparkFun Electronics – When it comes to wireless communication, the XBee protocol is one of our faves. It’s got great range capabilities, a wide support network, and lots of different products to fit many applications.
If you’ve never worked with XBee before, we’ve got two new tutorials that will help you get going!
- One Thing Well | atdtool – After the Deadline provides spelling, style and grammar checking. The official server is free for personal use, or you can host it yourself.
- Postcodes.io – Free, Open Source and based on solely Open Data
- Cheap Domain Validation SSL Certificates • Namecheap.com – Security for your site's visitors
- Installing PositiveSSL certificate with Nginx on Ubuntu 12.04 · Ruby, Nginx, PHP and Python – This article will explain how you can accomplish getting one of your domains to utilize a PositiveSSL certificate for serving up pages on https. The first thing you need to make sure of is that you have nginx-full installed on your machine as this is the version that includes SSL.
- White Chocolate & Pistachio Sponge Blondies | Serious Eats : Recipes – White chocolate and strawberries are lovely together, especially when they're suspended in a sponge cake. There are also raw pistachios in this recipe from A Lighter Way To Bake, giving something special to every square.
Tips: Raw pistachios are specifically called for in this recipe; they're different from the roasted nuts often packaged for snacking. Lorraine recommends sourcing them from the special ingredients or baking section of your supermarket. Whole Foods does have them, but they're often out of stock. If you can't find them, try a different nut to get that crunch.
Tweaks: We found that green pepitas (a.k.a raw pumpkin seeds), when chopped, were a similar and suitable substitute for raw pistachios in these blondies. Pecans or walnuts would have been a bit heavy, especially with white chocolate, and that raw, "green" flavor went very well with strawberry.
Speaking of, hulling strawberries is a snap if you use a paring knife. Cut a circle around the green stem, turning the berry (not the knife!) as you go. The idea is to point towards the center of the fruit, creating a little cone around the stem that pops out once you've spun the strawberry around. Once that's gone, chopping the berries into cubes is a snap.
- Strawberry & white chocolate cheesecake – Waitrose TV – Silvana Franco shows you how to make a deliciously simple cheesecake.
- ShortcutMapper – Keyboard Shortcuts for Popular Apps – A visual shortcuts explorer for popular applications